Addiction is often called a family disease. That’s because it can have far-reaching effects on the whole family. It erodes trust and damages communication. The combined worry and stress can be emotionally overwhelming. Reputable addiction therapy programs offer family therapy so that the entire family can work on healing as their addicted member works toward recovery. If you or someone you care about is ready to discuss drug or alcohol rehab, and you are interested in learning more about family therapy for addiction treatment, reach out to Apex Recovery today.
We offer a family therapy program in Nashville as part of a comprehensive addiction program tailored to the needs and goals of each client. Contact us by calling 615.703.4639 or reaching out online if you have questions about inpatient or outpatient rehab, our family therapy program, and other evidence-based treatments offered at Apex Recovery Nashville.
How a Family Therapy Program Works
- Involves the family meeting together with a therapist for a number of visits
- Is organized into sessions, usually around an hour in length
- Might take different forms in different sessions depending on what comes up since every family’s situation is unique
- Can use different therapeutic approaches such as family behavior therapy, functional family therapy, or brief strategic family therapy
The Benefits of Family Therapy for Addiction Treatment
As a tool for healing, family therapy is powerful. It helps the person in recovery and it helps that person’s loved ones. The client learns how their addiction has affected the entire family. The family learns more about addiction and how they might have enabled that addiction without meaning to. The whole family learns specific skills and processes that will heal the family unit and benefit each member.
Some of the excellent outcomes from family therapy include:
- Increased empathy – People without an addiction struggle to understand what it is like. Those who are addicted rarely have compassion for the people around them, as they are in the grip of a disease that leaves no room for much else. In family therapy, many misunderstandings can be eliminated and replaced by awareness and empathy. This step is vital in healing family rifts.
- Healthy boundaries – Often, in a family affected by addiction, boundaries are breached and can disappear completely. The person struggling with substance abuse may no longer recognize the norms of behavior that keep family interactions healthy. Many families engage in co-dependent and enabling behaviors. In others, anger and ultimatums create rifts. It is possible to be compassionate and have boundaries that benefit all.
- Good communication – Communication patterns in families develop over time and get less effective when someone is struggling with addiction. In family therapy, you and your loved ones can learn positive communication strategies that amplify healthy, open, vulnerable, and honest communication to develop trust and compassion.
Your family can learn to trust one another again by working together in family therapy. Where there is love, there is a way toward healing.
Learn more About the Family Therapy Program at Apex Recovery Nashville
At Apex Recovery Nashville, we offer a wide range of evidence-based therapies to our clients. Family therapy is an important pillar of our program as well because the support of family is so critical to those in recovery, and if there are entrenched challenges in the family dynamics, it can get in the way of well-being for everyone, not just the person in recovery.