Hypnosis therapy, or hypnotherapy, is a modality that has been used in treating addictions for decades. Hypnosis combined with psychotherapy over time has powerful effects on people in recovery, helping them curb cravings, develop self-confidence, and change their outlook on the future from grim to hopeful. Addiction therapy programs that use hypnosis are increasingly mainstream in reputable rehab settings. At Apex Recovery Nashville, we are proud of our hypnosis therapy program.
To learn more about hypnosis therapy and addiction recovery, speak to one of our experienced, caring, and compassionate staff members at Apex Recovery Nashville. It’s easy. Just contact us at 615.703.4639.
What Is Hypnosis Therapy for Addiction?
Hypnosis therapy is an evidence-based treatment for various mental health conditions, including addiction. At the heart of hypnosis is helping someone become more relaxed and open to suggestions. In this state, they are more likely to be receptive to alternate ways of looking at their behaviors, including addiction. People who feel demoralized and hopeless about stopping substance misuse can turn those feelings around thanks to hypnotherapy. Others who still struggle to accept that they genuinely have a substance use disorder (SUD) can be guided to see their addiction clearly and get it—which is necessary to recover.
Hypnosis, when combined with psychotherapy, can help people:
- Accept that they need help
- Develop willpower
- Recognize triggers
- Cope with triggers
- Shift negative thoughts
- Change behaviors
- Mitigate chronic pain
For people who develop addiction due to using drugs or alcohol for pain management, finding alternative ways to ease or manage pain is a big step toward recovery.
Hypnosis Therapy and Addiction Recovery
Hypnosis therapy is beneficial in addiction treatment because of its effects on the subconscious, manifesting in improved well-being in several areas. For example, hypnosis therapy:
- Boosts self-esteem – While in a hypnotic state, you will be open to suggestions that minimize guilt or shame while amplifying your value and helping you see yourself more accurately.
- Helps process trauma – Hypnosis therapy is trauma-informed care that can mitigate the chance of relapse by addressing any past trauma. In conjunction with therapies like dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) or eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy, hypnotherapy can be extremely powerful in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- Improves sleep hygiene – Hypnosis trains you to enter a relaxed state. You may find your sleep less troublesome when you become experienced in doing that.
- Alleviates cravings – In hypnosis therapy, you will be open to suggestions that the substance to which you are addicted is undesirable. Reduced cravings due to hypnosis lessen the occurrence of relapse.
- Identifies subconscious motivations – It is not always easy for people to locate the things that drive their behaviors because they are buried deep in the subconscious. A hypnotherapist can deftly help you identify those things that reside in your subconscious and hold you back so you can shift behaviors.
The benefits of a hypnosis therapy program are manifold. Let Apex Recovery Nashville help you access them.