Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) uses both psychotherapy and medication to treat alcohol use disorders (AUD) and opioid use disorders (OUD)—the only two that are approved for MAT by the FDA thus far. When rehab facilities offer an MAT program, they have a few medications to choose from. Each of the drugs that can be used in MAT has different benefits, risks, and effects. At Apex Recovery in Nashville, one of the drugs we stand behind is Vivitrol.
To learn about our Vivitrol treatment program in Nashville, contact us today. We can talk to you about medication-assisted treatment, how we treat addiction in our Vivitrol treatment center, and what to expect when you begin a MAT program. Complete our online form to connect with one of our staff, or dial 615.703.4639 today. We look forward to speaking with you.
How Vivitrol Works in a MAT Program
Vivitrol is the brand name for the drug naltrexone. This medication is a non-addictive antagonist. When alcohol or an opioid like heroin or Oxy is taken while on Vivitrol, the medication binds with the brain’s receptors to block the euphoric or pain-relieving effects of the substance.
Addiction treatment specialists, doctors, and therapists like that Vivitrol only needs to be administered once a month by injection. This convenience helps people avoid missing doses or relapsing because there is no pressure to attend a clinic daily.
It is vital to go through a complete detox before beginning Vivitrol. It cannot be taken until your body is entirely free of opioids or alcohol. The antagonist effects of the drug mean that an error in this timing can throw someone into sudden severe withdrawal symptoms. In rehab, the staff will monitor your withdrawal carefully to ensure the safe administration of Vivitrol.
Vivitrol Therapy Plus Psychotherapy
The incredibly beneficial aspects of a medication like Vivitrol can sometimes mislead people in recovery into thinking that getting their injection each month is all there is to it. At Apex Recovery, we ensure that our clients understand the interconnectedness of medication-assisted therapy with psychotherapy.
In MAT with Vivitrol, you will:
- Have few, if any, side effects, and if you do, they will pass within weeks
- Experience a steep decline in drug or alcohol cravings, which will never return to prior levels
- Learn skills for coping with triggers because not all cravings are physical—they can be situational, emotional, and psychological, too
- Receive the support of peers who will understand your journey and help hold you accountable (and you’ll do the same for them)
- Be monitored closely by a physician so that your medication levels stay safe and continue to work well for you
- Make good use of your sobriety to work on your mental health
- Reconnect with loved ones you may have become distant from
- Begin a healthy recovery journey that can last a lifetime with proper management
Don’t hesitate to explore the benefits of a MAT program that includes Vivitrol therapy.
What to Expect from Our Vivitrol Treatment Center in Nashville
In individual, group, and even family therapy settings, you can benefit from proven treatments such as these:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT)
Our Vivitrol treatment program in Nashville offers the best medical and psychiatric science to support your recovery and holistic and experiential therapies that can significantly improve your well-being and long-term sobriety outcomes.