If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Services who is looking for support as you begin recovery, you may be looking at addiction treatment programs that cater specifically to your experience and requirements. A veterans addiction treatment center will provide services based on a true understanding of your unique history and struggles.
Apex Recovery Nashville offers a veterans treatment program in Nashville that can help you navigate detox and recovery, as well as address underlying mental health symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, depression, and more. Reach out to learn about our treatment protocols that support service members struggling with addiction. You can submit this online form to connect with one of our staff or simply call 615.703.4639.
Mental Health & Addiction in Veterans
More than one out of 10 veterans has been diagnosed with a substance use disorder (SUD). It is suspected that more than that struggle with addiction but have not been officially diagnosed.
Though addiction is not unique to veterans, the experiences veterans have had while serving in the military are unique. Being treated by clinicians who understand what you, as a veteran, have been through is beneficial to your recovery. In many veterans treatment programs, there are mental health and addiction specialists who are, themselves, veterans.
The efficacy of peer support is well-established, and in a veterans addiction treatment center, you are in rehab with fellow vets who can be considered true peers based on shared experiences.
Types of Addiction Treatment for Veterans
In a rehab program catering to veterans, you will find that some or all of the following are available to you as you begin recovery:
- Medically managed detox – Withdrawal is physically and psychologically challenging. The experience can be triggering and frightening, and veterans with a history of trauma can be particularly susceptible to a difficult withdrawal if they are not supported in an addiction treatment program with a medical detox center. Physicians can provide safe medications that will ease most of the worst physical symptoms of withdrawal and a supportive clinical staff can help you navigate the emotional roller coaster of detox.
- Evidence-based treatments – Modalities that are proven effective in the treatment of addictions will be available for one-on-one and group therapy. Trauma-informed treatments that are beneficial for those with PTSD and other trauma-related disorders may include eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
- Dual diagnosis treatment – Approximately 30% of veterans today report symptoms of PTSD. Depression is another very common diagnosis among vets. It is likely that a veteran seeking help for substance abuse will have a co-occurring mental health disorder. In a veterans treatment program, a coordinated approach to these disorders is best practice; it is called dual diagnosis treatment.
- Peer support among fellow veterans – Veterans are a unique subset of people seeking addiction treatment. Their life experiences set them apart from those who have not been in service or seen combat. Peer support is vital to recovery. In a veterans addiction treatment center, you will be among fellow veterans who can provide accountability and support that has a specific meaning to you.
- Group therapy geared towards veterans – Similarly, a group therapy session in which the members share a military history will be uniquely helpful to veterans in rehab. Under the supervision and guidance of a therapist, the group works through issues together in a safe setting.
If you are a veteran seeking to leave the grip of substance dependency behind, reach out to Apex Recovery Nashville to learn how we can help you on the road to recovery.
Veteran Rehab at Apex Recovery
Apex Recovery Nashville supports veterans in a program specifically designed for their needs and goals. Learn about how our experienced, compassionate staff can usher you from dependence to independence in a safe, trigger-free setting among fellow veterans.
Apex Recovery Mission Support (A.R.M.S)
The Apex Recovery Mission Support (A.R.M.S) team specializes in assisting service members, Veterans, First Responders, and their family members in finding the programming that best meets their needs. ARMS Resource Coordinators have access to a nationwide network of TRICARE-approved and Veterans Affairs Community Care Network (VA CCN)-contracted facilities that offer a full continuum of behavioral health programming.
Our programming includes multiple levels of care that are designed to treat the whole person and prepare them for their next step.
Veteran Health Issues We Address
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Military Sexual Trauma (MST)
- Complex Trauma
- Acute Mental Health Disorders
- Dual Diagnosis
- Survivors Guilt
Contact us at 619.317.4964 to learn more about the Apex Recovery Mission Support team in Nashville and how we can help veterans struggling with addiction or mental health issues.