One of the most important elements in addiction therapy programs is one-on-one therapy with a licensed mental health clinician. The process of exploring your mental health and addiction history in a safe place with a trusted and compassionate professional is fundamental to healing and recovery. An individual counseling program is often supplemented by other therapy options, such as group and family therapy, both of which have their own benefits during your recovery.
To learn about Apex Recovery Nashville’s addiction therapy programs in Tennessee, reach out to ask questions and find out how we can help you as you seek healing from a substance use disorder (SUD). Call 615.703.4639 or use our online form to quickly connect with one of our staff.
Benefits of Individual Therapy for Addiction
Therapy can be challenging at first as it requires you to be honest with yourself and your therapist and dig deep into parts of your past or emotions that you may have been trying to avoid with substances. Once you begin to engage, you will find that your initial hesitation eases and you begin to recognize the progress you’re making.
Some of the benefits of an individual therapy program are:
- Self-awareness – As you explore your addiction, you gain an understanding of yourself. You’ll learn how to recognize and work through issues that stand in the way of healing. Part of therapy includes learning skills for coping with emotional and psychological cravings. When someone with an addiction is free of substances and looks fearlessly inward, the self-awareness that is gained becomes the base upon which you can build your ongoing recovery.
- Understanding your triggers – You’ll start to recognize your triggers and understand why they affect you. When in the throes of drug or alcohol addiction, you are usually unable to realize that there are certain things that spark cravings or underlie your desire to use. Perhaps you are self-medicating for a co-occurring mental health condition, or you are trying to escape from feelings of fear, inadequacy, or loneliness. Once you understand why you started using drugs or alcohol in the first place, it becomes easier to move forward without being dependent on substances.
- Improved communication – Communication skills take a hit when someone is dealing with a SUD. Due, in part, to a lack of self-awareness, as well as defensiveness and denial about your addiction, your relationships may have suffered. It is hard to communicate successfully without honesty and compassion. In individual therapy, you can work on this skill and continue to develop it in group and family therapy as well.
- Mindfulness – Many of the evidence-based therapy modalities used for addiction treatment emphasize mindfulness, which helps you learn to live in the moment with acceptance rather than being trapped in the past or living in fear of the future. Mindfulness practices can help you soothe anxiety, avoid cravings, and improve physical and mental health in general.
Individual therapy is a significant underpinning of successful recovery.
Types of Therapy in an Individual Counseling Program
Some of the effective therapy modalities that are used by therapists at Apex Recovery Nashville include:
- Acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT)
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
The first four are different kinds of behavioral therapy, all of which tend to be time-limited and goal-oriented, focusing on beliefs and mindsets that hold you back. They touch on mindfulness practices, especially DBT. EMDR is a highly effective way to heal from trauma. PTSD commonly co-occurs with addiction. All of these therapies are excellent for co-occurring disorders as well.
Individual Therapy for Addiction at Apex Recovery Nashville
Apex Recovery Nashville has a highly professional expert staff of therapists who provide quality, evidence-based therapies one-on-one with our clients. Treating you with respect and dignity is part of our philosophy and fundamental to our work as we help you achieve a lasting recovery.