The links between mental health and addiction are well established. One of the most common factors among people with addiction is a history of trauma. Many people suffer from PTSD and other trauma-induced mental health conditions that lead them to self-medicate with drugs or alcohol, which can easily lead to addiction. To address a substance use disorder (SUD), rehab professionals must also address any associated trauma. Addiction therapy programs that offer trauma therapy and trauma-informed care can help those who feel trapped by their traumatic pasts.
To learn about trauma and find out about a trauma therapy program in Tennessee, contact Apex Recovery Nashville by completing this form or calling 615.703.4639. One of our staff will gladly answer all your questions.
What Is Trauma?
Trauma is the result of severe, life-threatening, or deeply disturbing events or repeated events that negatively affect someone’s mental, emotional, physical, and interpersonal functioning and well-being. With or without an official diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), trauma can happen because of:
- Childhood abuse or neglect (physical, sexual, or emotional)
- Sexual abuse and violence
- Physical assault
- Military combat
- Natural disasters like hurricanes, earthquakes, or tornadoes
- Accidents such as automobile or work-related accidents
- Severe injury or illness
- Bullying, especially if chronic/sustained
- Violations of trust such as robbery, marital infidelity, or domestic abuse
Not everyone who experiences the above traumatic events will develop PTSD, but an experience of trauma is likely to live in the subconscious, affecting someone’s outlook on life, ability to trust, and feelings of safety.
What to Expect in Apex Recovery Nashville’s Trauma Therapy Program
Trauma-informed care can refer to a number of evidence-based therapies that have been developed around an understanding of how the brain processes trauma. Trauma therapy does not seek to treat the trauma itself but to help you manage symptoms that resulted from the trauma, manage continuing triggers of that prior experience, and develop skills to cope with possible future trauma.
In a trauma treatment center as part of addiction rehab, there are basic principles that guide therapy:
- The survivors of trauma must be fully informed of the treatment process.
- The survivor’s boundaries must be respected.
- The survivor’s optimism about the possibility of recovery is key.
- It is understood that there is a direct relationship between past trauma and substance misuse.
- Effective treatment will involve full cooperation and collaboration among family and friends.
Trauma-informed care will improve successful outcomes for those in recovery who are dealing with past trauma.
Undergoing Care at a Trauma Treatment Center
In an addiction rehab that offers trauma care, the following concepts are fundamental to each form of treatment that is offered to treat trauma and addiction:
- Safety – Clients feel safe
- Trust – Trust in therapists in order to be fully honest and transparent
- Support – Peer support is a major factor in both trauma care and addiction treatment
- Empowerment – The client’s voice and choice must be respected
- Collaboration – Working together, client/therapist, client/peer group
When rehab professionals and clients are able to connect in structured, respectful environments, healing can progress.
Evidence-Based, Trauma-Informed Care in Nashville
At Apex Recovery in Nashville, we offer a range of evidence-based therapies that treat trauma, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Hypnosis therapy
- Person-centered therapy
Trauma-informed care can take place in individual therapy, family therapy, and group therapy. When its key tenets are observed, and clients feel safe and empowered, coping with past trauma becomes possible, as does lasting recovery.
Start a Trauma Therapy Program in Tennessee at Apex Recovery Nashville
At Apex Recovery Nashville, we seek to provide clinical excellence, intensive treatment for addiction and co-occurring disorders, and a comprehensive continuum of care. We are proud of the range of options we offer in terms of level of care, and we look after our alumni in our aftercare program that allows clients to continue to build and benefit from the peer support that was so fundamental during rehab.