The journey toward lasting recovery does not look the same for everyone. Engaging fully and successfully in addiction treatment requires a great deal of trust and determination. It is important that people on that journey feel supported and safe. When they do, there is a greater likelihood of a successful process and lasting positive outcomes. Many men and women feel that single-gender addiction treatment meets their needs by being attuned to their experiences and circumstances, as well as providing a comfortable environment in which to be vulnerable. If you are a woman looking for addiction treatment, learn about the benefits of women’s rehab and consider enrolling in a women’s rehab center.
At Apex Recovery in Nashville, we are guided by the values of wisdom, integrity, value, excellence, and accountability. We want our clients to feel empowered and understood as they strive toward wellness. We understand the benefits of women’s addiction treatment and can answer any questions you may have about our women’s rehab center. Simply complete our online form to connect with someone on our staff, or call us at 615.703.4639.
Women’s Experiences with Addiction
There are some commonalities between men and women when it comes to the circumstances, stressors, and influences that affect substance use that results in addiction. But there are enough differences that, in many cases, women’s rehab has been found to be more effective than co-ed treatment.
Some of the factors that commonly affect women’s substance abuse include:
- Domestic violence
- Loss and grief
- Anxiety around parenting
- Poor self-esteem
- Sexual abuse or assault
Sustained trauma can lead to a diagnosis of PTSD, leading to the need to treat co-occurring disorders. If sexual assault or partner violence is part of the equation, undergoing treatment for addiction alongside men can be triggering for many women. There are numerous benefits of a women’s rehab center.
Women Often Don’t Seek Help
A lack of gender equity means that women have a unique set of challenges to deal with, including:
- Lack of bodily autonomy
- Vulnerability to sexual and physical abuse
- Power imbalances in private and professional life
- Pay inequity
These factors get in the way of women seeking professional rehab. Women often fear admitting that they have a substance use disorder (SUD) in case it affects the custody of their children. Most single-parent homes are led by women, making addiction treatment additionally challenging.
Apex Recovery’s goal is to empower women to get the help they need, so they can live healthy, sober lives and heal from past trauma.
The Benefits of Women’s Rehab
Some of the benefits of women’s addiction treatment that have been identified by women and those who support them through recovery are listed below.
- Safety – All rehab programs seek to provide a sense of security to their clients. No one can heal if they do not feel completely safe. With trauma-related mental health challenges being more common among women, they are more likely to be open and transparent about their past experiences in a women’s rehab program.
- Women-focused therapy – An individualized treatment plan is ideal for both men and women. For women, therapy can address the specific issues and challenges they face. These might include fear and guilt about feeling as if they are neglecting their families while in rehab, issues with body dysmorphia and eating disorders, or PTSD due to sexual assault. Women’s addiction treatment also focuses on skills and strategies to avoid the relapse risks that are more common among women.
- Nurturing culture – Women tend to be more aware of and sensitive to the nuances of interpersonal relationships. They are more likely to benefit from a rehab setting where other women help create a culture of caring and nurturing, something women often need and are also ready to provide. This does not mean that men do not need nurture or cannot provide it, but the likelihood of women finding the kind of interpersonal connections they need in a women’s rehab is high.
An important goal of addiction treatment is to empower those in recovery to face the challenges ahead with confidence and optimism. Because that outcome is often best achieved in a women’s rehab center, Apex Recovery is proud to offer this option.
Experience the Benefits of a Women’s Rehab Center at Apex Recovery
Women’s rehab is available in an intensive outpatient program (IOP), partial hospitalization program (PHP), low-intensity outpatient program (OP), and in a residential rehab option as well. All these choices include the compassionate care of expert professionals who provide evidence-based therapies as well as holistic treatments.